Saturday, October 07, 2006

Fall Has Fallen

Last weekend, we went to Ashok and Penny D’Souza’s exclusive corner of Fort Lee for the fourth birthday of their son, Adam. None of Kiara’s friends were at the party, so she played by herself in the community playground, supervised first by me and then by Ran. She thawed a little bit when the entertainment arrived – it was a Spiderman-themed party, so Spiderman himself put in an appearance, to Kiara’s delight. Kiara likes skulls, predators and swashbuckling superheroes – while this alarms me, I don’t want to repress her Thanatic side. Anyway, her predeliction for dishoom dishoom meant that Spiderman thrilled her – unconvincing muscles and all. Penny pulled out all the stops to make the party memorable.
On Monday, I had the day off for Yom Kippur, so Kiara played hookey and I took her to the doctor for a check up, then I took her to the library, then I dropped off some dry cleaning and went to the bank. After that Kiara and I picked out her Halloween costume – she’s going to be a toucan.
This coming Monday is also a holiday for Columbus Day, so I plan to arrange a play date for Kiara – we’ll probably spend the day making Halloween decorations.
Kiara and I have taken to having sing songs after school, where I sit at the piano with her on my lap and we play and sing duets. Her favorite song is “Colors of the Wind” from Pocahontas. She loves the chorus, and produces a volume – and vibrato – that rivals Pavarotti’s.
Speaking of new hobbies, Ranjit has taken to Sudoku, which means that his mind will still be a steel trap when I am in second childishness.
Things are going well at school – one of the students in my Freshman Composition class has published an article in the student paper, which makes me very proud. The professor who is supervising our teaching practicum has asked me to do research with him, and I’m thinking of doing it on how courses like Freshman Composition make life miserable for people who speak Englishes other than American English. In another course, we are immersing ourselves in some very sexy theory. The third course I’m doing is on Zora Neale Hurston. I’m presenting a paper on the Siddis in that class, because we’re talking about the African diaspora.
My New York Times job, moderating blogs and forums, has been extended indefinitely, and I have also been offered two courses to teach at Baruch College in spring. The downside of all this frenetic activity is that Kiara has been reluctant to let go of me when I drop her off to school in the mornings. I think she misses all the time we spent together over the summer, so I’m probably going to stop teaching piano for a while so that at least after school hours I can spend more time with her.
Ranjit’s friend Pawan is in New York, and will be spending tonight with us – tomorrow we’re all driving to upstate New York to spend the day with friends of Pawans, and to see the leaves turning from green to the fabulous colors of fall.
Also in the offing is a trip to Chicago, for cousin Maria’s wedding. We’re driving down – fourteen hours in a car with a three year old may daunt some, but not the Prabhus of South Orange. As long as we have our ipod we will survive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home